Monday, April 26, 2010

In which Sly and Doris get rid of their wheeled trash cans because the garbagemen always leave them open

One of the big deals for Sly and Doris is taking the trash out every Sunday night for Monday collection. They accumulate it in the garage in trash bags, then load it into a trash can that has to be dragged out to the curb. Sly has a hard time dragging the trash can and the recycling box, so Michael goes over to help. I asked Primo why they didn't just use a trash can with wheels.

Primo: I asked my dad why he didn't use a wheeled trash can.

Me: And?

Primo: Because the trash guys used to tear the top off and leave the can halfway down the street.

Me: They tore the lid off? Off its hinges?

Primo: No. Like our trash cans. They'd leave the top off.

Me: You mean they'd open it and leave it flipped back?

Primo: Yes.

Me: Well so what? All you have to do is flip it back.

Primo [deep sigh]: They always have a reason.

Me: So would the trash guys really leave them halfway down the street?

Primo: The one this morning was about ten feet from the curb.

Me: Hardly halfway.

Primo: Yeah.

Me: So what happened to the wheeled cans? Were they stolen?

Primo: No, they just stopped using them.

Me: To use ones without wheels instead?

Primo: Yes.

Me: Oh good grief. How does that make things better?

Primo: And my dad is a total micromanager, so when Michael comes over to help with it, he has to run things.

Me: Because Michael can't put out the trash without instruction?

Primo: My dad wants everything loaded a certain way.

Me: You have got to be kidding me.

Primo: He wants the kitchen trash on the bottom.

Me: It's driving me crazy to hear this from you. I can't imagine how insane it made you to hear this firsthand.

Primo: [sounds of forehead hitting the wall]

1 comment:

  1. dear. oh. dear. I think his Dad has OCD. My Dad is rather OCD and has a lot of routines, habits etc that are totally inflexible. He get hysterical if you make him change stuff. I can tell that you love Sly and Doris so VERY much!

    ReplyDelete