Thursday, November 20, 2014

In which I discover something to like - a lot - about Isabel, Primo's first wife, RIP

Me: Listen to this:

Mom was always doing something wrong. Like the time Chine came down for a weekend - probably more'n two years ago - it became a major big deal that Mom didn't have any clean glasses in the house. It's not like Chine couldn't wash a glass herself, but Mom should have had them washed in advance because washing the glasses in advance meant something. Like I love you or welcome of I want you to be here.

Primo: What's that?

Me: From a book I'm reading.

Primo: OK.

Me: She's right. Having a clean house does mean something. When you are excited about having company and want them to be comfortable, you have clean dishes!

Primo: You didn't want to prepare the guest room when Blaine came to visit.

Me: That's because he's your friend.

Primo: He's your friend, too!

Me: But not like with you - you have known him for almost 30 years. I've only known him a few years.

Primo: When I visit him, his wife prepares the guest room.

Me: You mean his wife who does not have a job outside of the home?

Primo: Yes.

Me: I rest my case. If I can quit my job, I will be very happy to assume all household duties.

Primo: Isabel wouldn't always prepare the guest room when we had company.

Me: OK, that's tacky. She didn't even have a job!

Primo: I know!

Me: You said "wouldn't always."

Primo: She would most of the time.

Me: When wouldn't she?

Primo: When my mom and dad came to visit.

Me: Ah.

Primo: What do you mean, "ah?"

Me: You mean your mom and dad who were probably just as obnoxious to her as they are to me?

Primo: Yes

Me: I don't blame her.

No comments:

Post a Comment