Friday, January 27, 2017

In which I go to a fundraiser for Primo and then I watch the episode of "Scandal" where Olivia breaks up with Fitz and leaves the White House and I totally get it, even though I have had only a tiny, tiny taste of how awful it is to be The Candidate's Wife



We got to the fundraiser at 5:30 or so. It was supposed to go from 5:30 to 7:30. Primo asked me to stay at least to hear him speak, which he said would be about 6:15 or 6:30. I pointed out that speaking is not necessary probably - that nobody wants to hear a speech, but he said that people expect this kind of thing.

I wouldn't know. I try to stay away from political events.

We get there and it's freezing cold in the house because the hostess has the windows open and the ceiling fans going. This is October. We are in the Cold Part of the United States.

But - not my house, so not my rules.

I had eaten before we left because you can never be sure about the food at these things. Not that I judge any  more - when we had a fundraiser at our house, I cooked for days. The food was, indeed, fabulous, but what we discovered was that we had spent a lot of money on food and wine to raise not as much money as the food and wine cost.

So now I don't judge about the fruit and cheese tray from Sam's, but I also don't want to eat it. I eat in advance.

But this hostess was lovely. It was her first fundraiser so she didn't know, either, so she made meatballs and crab dip and artichoke dip and black bean salsa and it was all fabulous.

Primo gave a speech and he talked and talked and talked, blesshisheart, going into detailed policy discussions that I don't think anyone cared about, at least not while they were standing in a living room wishing they could get another glass of wine. The thing with Primo's speeches is they have gotten to be really good at the beginning and he just doesn't stop soon enough. However, people are gracious and they are so excited that he is running that they forgive him.

I had hoped to be out of there by 6:45 but people kept wanting to talk to me and they were nice, lovely people and you can't just blow off voters because they are voters and unfortunately, people seem to care about the candidate's wife, although I don't think they should, as they are not voting for the spouse, they are voting for the candidate.

By 8:00, it was just Primo, the hostess, another woman who is very active in local politics, and me. The mother of the active woman had just died and we were expressing our condolences and that was not a good time to walk out.

"Sorry to hear that your mom just died. Bye now!"

No. That does not work at all.

I finally started saying to Primo, "It's a work night! We need to go!" but the hostess was still all excited about hosting a successful event and she wanted us to take leftovers with us and she was just so, so nice.

But we didn't get home until 9. And then tonight, I watched that episode where Olivia is depressed because she is being asked for cookie recipes and is decorating the White House for Christmas and choosing table settings and you can see that she looks like a caged animal, and I thought, Yes. Yes. For just a few hours, my life was all about Primo, but even as much as I love him, that's not how I want to spend my time. If someone wants that, it's fine - it's her choice. But it is not my choice. America, quit asking the First Lady about her damn cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment