Instead, I will just stay home and be bored.
1. I already tried making calzones today. I am/was working from home and made the filling and the dough last night. Here is what I have learned:
- I love the Enchanted Broccoli Forest vibe, but pesto+ricotta is boring
- Calzones need hot, salty fat, i.e., pepperoni
- Calzones also need not to be overstuffed. Can you tell in which order I made these? Yes - top right to top left.
2. I have leftover pesto+ricotta. (I have been trying to use inventory in the freezer and I have a ton of pesto from the Great Basil Harvest of 2014.) I also have a friend who is going through chemo. He and his wife were in the Peace Corps with me and live in the capital city. Primo has to drop off his nominating signatures by June 1, so is planning to drive there next week. I will make a new batch of better-looking calzones and send them with him for Joe and Joyce. Primo is going to look in the freezer for some sausage to add to the filling.
3. I am also going to bake some orange-poppyseed bread from my mom's recipe to send with him.
4. And I am going to make a pie from the last bit of pears from our tree. I have become a champion pear pie maker. I use the apple pie recipe from Bon Appetit. And lard. I use lard in my crust. I will not send the entire pie to Joe and Joyce, though. They get the entire poppyseed bread and a few slices of pie.
5. In addition to cooking and being bored, I am going to work out in the basement and I am going to read.
6. And sleep. Late.
7. I am not going to collect signatures.
8. (Primo already has over 200, so he is probably safe.)