Friday, August 11, 2017

Ch 8 Primo is shocked that I would polish his shoes and I remind him I am not doing it in a, “This is women’s work and I subjugate myself to you” way but am just seeking efficiencies from the setup for polishing shoes, which is the big hassle of it all

Primo: You'll really polish my shoes?

Me: Sure. Why not? I’m doing mine. Bring yours over. Once my hands are dirty with the polish, I might as well keep going.

Primo: In my house, that was always my dad's job.

Me: Funny. At my house, that was always my job.

Primo: But that's men's work.

Me: There was no such thing as men's work or women's work at our house.

Primo: Well, it was never specifically said, but it was just understood.

Me: Nope. The chores were rotated at our house. We took turns doing dishes, mowing the grass, taking out the trash, cleaning the bathroom.

Primo: Not at our house.

Me: Isn't it funny that the intellectual, enlightened, superior liberals are the ones who had the men's and women's work and the backwards religious rigid military conservatives are the ones who had non-gendered work?


1 comment:

  1. Just as long as everyone understands that killing roaches - and keep in mind the phrase "everything's bigger in Texas" was invented to describe these things* - is not "Kathryn's work".

    *AND THEY FLY

    ReplyDelete