Monday, December 26, 2016

In which a lovely, lovely woman who is very active with The Party but who leaves really long, rambling voicemails calls Primo as he is walking out the door and he answers the phone in an effort to stave off another voicemail

She is the nicest person in the world. Very sincere. Very committed. Not a mean, snarky bone in her body.

(Unlike Yours Truly, who does not always see the Good in People.)

(And who does not always Offer Her Suffering Up To Jesus as her sweet grandmother always suggested.)

The phone rings. Primo is shaving, getting ready to leave for a party meeting. He looks at the phone, grabs it, towel over his arm, razor in one hand, phone in the other.

He's no Anthony Weiner, but he still looks pretty good.

(And it should go without saying - and I think it does but I will say it anyhow - Primo, as far as I know, has never texted photos of any part of his body to anyone.)

Primo: Hi [Nice Lady]! I'm getting ready to go out--

Primo: But I wanted to catch you before you left a voicemail--

Primo: Do you think you could just send me an email with the detai--

Primo: She hung up.

Me: Why?

Primo: She said, "Oh, I won't keep you." Was I rude?

Me: I don't think so. You were direct, but you were tactful.

Primo: It's just that she leaves the longest voicemails and they are always really detailed. When she does email, it doesn't work.

Me: What do you mean?

Primo: I had asked her to send me a spreadsheet of everyone who was coming to that fundraiser. She said she couldn't figure out how to send it, so she brought a printed copy over to the house.

Me: She printed it out? And drove it over here?

Primo: I think she is not very technically proficient. It was pages and pages of printed information but it wasn't even sorted.

Me: She is so nice. Blessherheart.

Primo: I know. But - does anyone want to talk on the phone any more?

Me: I don't. I hate talking on the phone. I email as much as possible at work. If I do have to talk to someone, I schedule it or message him to find out if it's convenient. It's considered rude to call someone out of the blue.

Primo: I know! The only people I like talking to are Sam and you because it's a substitute for when I can't be in person. But I am not interested in conducting any kind of political business over the phone. It's too invasive. I think that's why they tell us to call people to ask for money instead of emailing.

Me: Because then the other person is trapped on the phone?

Primo: Yes. You are supposed to use really hard sell techniques to get money out of people. I don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment