Saturday, September 9, 2017

Ch 10 We try to figure out what to get Sly and Doris for Christmas now that Primo has ruled out a framed photo of us or at least of him

Primo: I know what to get my mom and dad for Christmas!

Me: What? Did you finally realize that my idea of a framed photo of us with the option of two frames is indeed the perfect thing? Or of just you because of course they would not want a photo of me?

Primo: Sort of! When I went last time, my mom and I spent some time in that spare room. She found a few boxes with family photos.

Me: Boxes? They are not in albums?

Primo: No. They are in boxes.

Me: Loose?

Primo: Yes. Why?

Me: Seriously? Nobody has ever organized them in albums? My mom has dozens of albums and they are all captioned and she has all of her negatives organized and indexed.

Primo: Your mom is just not normal.

Me: No. Your family is completely disorganized. How does anyone live like that?

Primo: I don’t know. It doesn’t matter. Anyhow, I helped my mom go through a few boxes – I have been trying for years to get them to start cleaning that stuff out – and she gave me a whole bunch of old family photos. We had to sort through all the duplicates. Here – I brought them home with me.

I open the thick manila envelope he hands to me. It contains dozens of faded photos. They are underexposed and overexposed and out of focus, but there are a few decent ones.

Primo: I can pick out the good ones and scan them. I can get them one of those frames that displays electronic photos.

Me: That is actually a fabulous idea.

Primo: I know! My mom will love it!

Me: What about your dad?

Primo: I want to do this for my mom.

Me: OK. That’s really cool!

Primo: Will you help me?

Me: How?

Primo: Will you scan them and fix them? I don’t know how to do any of that stuff and I am so busy at work. You at least will be at home for the next two months. I have three trips.

Me: Are you kidding? Do you know how much work that is? My mom can spend hours repairing old photos.

Primo: They don’t need to be perfect like your mom’s. And I think only a dozen or two will be enough. Please?

Me: You think they will want a present from a bad bacon eater?

Primo: That’s my dad. This is for my mom. Please?


Me: OK. Fine. But you owe me.

1 comment: