Saturday, April 2, 2016

In which Primo and I talk about exercising and old age and how Sly was immune to the laws of nature

Primo: I should start doing some upper-body exercise.

Me: Yes.

Primo: I hate exercising!

Me: Yeah, I exercise because I like it so much.

Primo: I don't want to.

Me: Remember what Rob said at our reunion? The word we want is "spry." When we are old, we want to be spry.

Primo: I guess. My parents sure were not spry.

Me: Nope. They didn't even try. At least my mom gets on the treadmill. I can't convince her to do weights.

Primo: When my dad had his knee replacement, he was supposed to walk as part of his recovery. Not just walk around the house, but go outside and walk. That's it. Just walk.

Me: And?

Primo: He didn't do it. Not even once.

Me: Not once?

Primo: When the physical therapist came to the house, he did, but not on his own.

Me: The laws of biology didn't apply to him?

Primo: Nope. He was special. He was different.

Me: So glad that my taxpayer money funded his surgery.

3 comments:

  1. Start doing yoga! It's the ultimate anti aging fix for remaining strong and flexible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Primo, I can elaborate on this if you'd like - but one grandfather was career army, and kept up with his exercising and physical conditioning even into old age - at just shy of 90, he was still doing laps 3 mornings a week.

    He could do light driving, travel, and be relatively independent.

    My other grandparents did not. They were lightly active when they were younger, but they gave up as the aged and the aches and pains remained. They are my prime example of quantity of life not equaling quality of life, and having no wish to age into being them. Wheelchair bound, loss of hand and arm strength, scared of any change because they hadn't figured out how to make that new location work, loss of bladder control, and more.

    Find something physical you like to do, and do it. Or at least something you don't hate.

    - AC

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The laws of biology didn't apply to him?" LOLOL! This is just like my dad who (delusionally) insists that he looks at least 10 years younger than he is, is 100% healthy, never gets sick, and if (when) he ever does get injured, then he sets a record for recovering faster than anyone else that doctor has ever seen.

    ReplyDelete