Tuesday, August 16, 2016

In which Keith's former tenant leaves the keys in the mailbox but it's too late - the lease said she was to turn them in by midnight April 30, which is not the same as midnight May 2

Keith's former tenant refused to leave the keys with him when she moved out on Saturday night April 30. She left them with a note saying she would return them once she got her deposit back, which is not how the lease worked. You don't return the keys when you move out? That's $35 from your deposit.

Because the new tenants were moving in the next day, Keith re-keyed the locks first thing Sunday morning.

On Monday night, the former tenant dropped two of the three keys off in Keith's mailbox, along with a note that she would return the last one when she got the deposit back.

This woman clearly does not understand the concepts of

1. New tenants and
2. A contract.


8 comments:

  1. She is also leaving evidence behind all over the place that makes it obvious she's breaking the lease. Egads.

    I'm a renter, but I don't understand not taking care of the place where you're living. I treat a rental better than a place I own, because it's not mine and someone else has to live there. I've heard too many horror stories from landlords (usually on our walkthroughs about how nicely we've kept the place up with stories about how others have NOT done that), so I know that's not necessarily the case for everyone. But why? Why would you want to live in a sty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *someone else has to live there after I move out, I mean

      Delete
    2. I don't understand, either! I am way more careful with someone else's property than I am with mine. It's just good manners.

      Delete
  2. And that's how Betsy rolls...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now that the locks are rekeyed, Keith couldn't care less. Her remaining key is worth exactly nothing. Wonder if people will ever learn to read contracts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sly was so ticked off when they sold Jack's restaurant. They had a contract with a broker to sell it. The contract stated that the broker got his commission when the restaurant was sold. It did not say that the broker got the commission only if he found the buyer.

      Sly and Doris found the buyer.

      They still had to pay the commission.

      It really, really helps to read legal documents before you sign them.

      Delete
    2. This is the sort of thing I would Not Do Right and then be upset I had to pay the broker, but at least I would understand it was my own damn fault. I would be all "GAAAAAAH! I don't want the broker to have that money! Why didn't I do it right?" in the privacy of my own home or among friends. I would perhaps throw some cheese. And then I would move on (unless my brain wanted to play a montage of My Greatest Hits [I Screwed Up Version], and then I would whine at my therapist).

      Delete
    3. This would totally be a cheese-throwing moment. But not a "I was tricked" moment.

      Delete