Wednesday, October 28, 2015

In which Ted is upset that Primo did not call him right away about Sly going into the hospital

Ted is ticked off because Primo did not notify him immediately that Sly was back in the hospital. You know - Monday evening when we finally got to have a nice evening because we were away from Sly and with Stephanie and our nieces and nephew and then on the beach.

We got back to the house at about 10 and discovered that Sly was back in the hospital. We had to get up at 5:30 to go to the airport. So we had very little time to hang out with just us.

Primo said, "I will call Ted tomorrow. I don't have time to deal with his interrogation now. I want to spend time with you."

I agreed. "There is no such thing as a short conversation with him."

So Primo waited and Ted got mad because Primo had not notified him immediately. I say if Ted wants minute by minute information, he should be the one whom the hospital calls and he should be the one who drives an hour each way every day to see Sly. I am more than happy to let Ted be in charge.

I was back home. I stopped to see my friend Lois on my way to tennis and talked to her and her husband, Tom, who is a surgeon. I have been keeping Lois up to date on everything. She went through drama with her mom and her siblings. Her mom died three years ago and she is still trying to get everything settled with the house and the estate. It's hard getting siblings to help.

I asked Tom about the chemo. "I know they can't start it yet because he is still not healed from surgery, but it would be nice to know what the treatment plan is."

Tom was shocked. "He had a whipple! That is a serious procedure. They are not going to do chemo on an 81 year old!"

I was intrigued. I had not even considered this possibility, but it made sense. My dad was only 62 when he died. He was healthy and fit when he was diagnosed - thought he had pulled a muscle running a 10K. It turned out to be stage IV (ie, "You are going to die") non-Hodgkins lymphoma. The chemo was brutal and would have killed him if he had not otherwise been in such good shape.

I cannot see an 81 year old obese alcoholic going through chemo.

6 comments:

  1. An 81 year old obese alcoholic! Nope, don't see them offering chemo to him. Not unless he can afford to stay in the hospital the entire time and he eats properly, exercises when they want him to and no alcohol.
    Hmmmm, that doesn't sound like Sly at all.
    Don't envy you any of this. Makes my family seem like a dream when we went through palliative care with my mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Primo is going to get Sly to lose weight and to stop drinking, Gaylin!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I don't know. My M-I-L was 82, overweight, diabetic, hyper-thyroid, arthritis and heart trouble of some kind, and was addicted to codeine and Exlax and when she developed lymphoma, the docs offered and she accepted chemo.
    And yes, it was brutal, and yes, it killed her.
    Not the cancer or any of her other medical problems.
    She was very firmly in the "doctors are gods and mere mortals must do what they say" camp and I don't think it ever occurred to her not to go for chemo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You haven't posted in a couple of days so I'm figuring either things have been really busy, or you've gotten tired of the drama and need a break even from this. Or (eek!) you've had to go dark again. Either way, sending you and Primo a [hug] and I hope that things get better for you guys soon.

    (P.S., I tried to post this yesterday, but seem to have screwed it up. Let's see if I can do it right today...)

    - Anonymous Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon Cat, you are so sweet! Thanks! Everything is fine. :)

      I don't remember why I had the blank - I know I reshuffled a bunch of posts when I realized I had enough material to post every day instead of every three or four days. I think this is about where the days of the week start to match.

      Delete