Friday, April 12, 2013

Saturday Nov 3 In the home stretch and fighting again

Primo and I had a big fight last night. We are both so on edge and ready for this to be over. I really am surprised that there are not more campaign-related murders.

We were fighting because Primo wanted me to do more doors and drop lit this weekend, even though last weekend, he had told me that was my last weekend to do doors because this weekend, there would be volunteers and he would just want me to stay at home and give material to people as they arrived.

We were also fighting because Primo had done nothing to secure volunteers.

He said that that's not what the candidate is supposed to do - that's something Samantha, the fired campaign manager, should have done.

I pointed out that I had called and emailed every single person who had said they would help and most of them blew me off, which I completely understand because WHO WANTS TO WORK ON A POLITICAL CAMPAIGN? I don't.

He was frustrated because he was very involved in some other campaigns this year and some of the people he helped have not reciprocated, which I agree is tacky.

Our conversation was not fruitful.

Me: But I don't want to do doors! You said I was done! I am so sick of this!

Primo: There aren't any volunteers.

Me: That's not my fault. I told you to call them a month ago when they weren't responding to me.

Primo: You should have nagged me more to call them.

Me: Oh, so it's my fault.

Primo [laughing]: Yes.

Me: I don't want to. I hate this. I hate this. I am SICK OF THIS! The past six months have been all about you. I am DONE! [I took my book and started hitting myself on the head with it. Not with the cover. That would have hurt. With the open pages.]

Primo: Stop! What are you doing?

Me: I. Hate. This. Every time I think I'm done, there's more to do. I never get a second to relax. You keep moving the goalposts.

Primo: I'm sorry, sweetie. I don't know what else to do. I had a skewed idea of what it was like to get volunteers. When I was working on those campaigns, this spring, they were the only ones. But now there is the presidential campaign and the senate campaign and other state house representatives. Nobody wants to help.

Me: I will divorce you if you ever run for office again.

Primo: I thought other people would help me the way I helped them.

Me: But they aren't. Some of them are, but most of them aren't. Can we agree that you will no longer volunteer for other politicians?

Primo: I think so.


No comments:

Post a Comment