Sunday, December 14, 2014

In which Primo has to pick his walk-up song

Primo: I need to pick a song for the convention next week for before my speech.

Me: What? Like your walk-up song?

Primo: Yes.

Me: You mean, like a baseball player?

Primo: Yes.

Me: Except you are not a baseball player. This is stupid.

Primo: I know.

Me: What are you going to pick?

Primo: I don't know.

Me: How about "Come Sail Away?" [One of his karaoke favorites.]

Primo: No!

Me: Rhinestone Cowboy? [I was listening to Glen Campbell's greatest hits today and feeling kind of sad thinking about how we saw him in concert last year on his farewell tour and he got disoriented during one song because of his Alzheimer's and his daughter had to guide him back onto the stage.]

Primo: What? No! It has to have some kind of political protest theme.

Me: I know. "I'm Not Responsible."

Primo: You mean the, "I'm not responsible because I'm a liberal" song?

Me: Yes.


Next day, after Primo meets with his campaign committee to count the petition signatures (400 more than required, although you have to get extras in case some of the signatures are invalid, which some always are).

Me: Did you pick your walk-up song?

Primo: We narrowed it down.

Me: To what?

Primo: Maybe Tom Petty, "I Won't Back Down."

Me: That wouldn't be bad.

Primo: We wanted a traditional protest song, but they are too soft and gentle.

Me: Plus they are boring.

Primo: And we talked about some Bruce Springsteen songs.

Me: Ick. No. Yet another rich guy who sings about the blue collar life without living it.

A week later:

Primo and I are at the Gipsy Kings concert, which was amazing - those guys are not poulets des primtemps yet they still rock. They started singing, "y no tener la culpa." I turned to Primo and said, "THAT is your walkup song."

1 comment: