Thursday, April 14, 2016

In which Doris insults Ted in an old email I found

I am working on The Book so am going through old emails to get the data to prove what I am writing.

Wait. This is not a legal case?

Well. Anyway.

Found this email from Doris to Primo in 2011. He told her not to send it to me, which was the right thing to do, but then he forwarded it to me with an eyeroll, which was also the right thing to do. I marched upstairs and said, "It was NOT about 'these ones!' He corrected her about lemon extract but she had not made a mistake!"

And now, I am rolling my eyes at the passive-aggressive insult to Ted. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but honestly, this pitting of brother against brother is quite unseemly. My mom has never done that. (And my dad never did it.)



Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 18:39:47 -0700
From: Doris
Subject: Re: fridge etc
To: Primo

Dear Primo,
I decided not to send this message to Goldie without your clearance.  Let me know what  you think.  Ted called and talked at length,  He seemed relatively sincere.  I am going to phone Dad and then hit the bed.
Love,
Ma


Dear Goldie,
I hope that someday you will welcome my wish to say, Love,Ma.  It has hurt so much not to be able to narrow our ideological gaps.  You and my son love each another.  I want to love you as well. 

Enough said tonight, I'm not all together.  You might want to tell Primo that throughout his day not one health care worker, including docs, RNs, and subordinate personnel knew enough to say "lie" vs. lay. 

When we saw Maria for a brief time with Jack on Sunday, we asked how things were going at FAU, and she enthusiastically responded  "good," instead of well.  We didn't correct her. I remember how you chided us at the dinner table at Stephanie's house when Dad mentioned/corrected Maria about "these ones."  One is either fur or agin maintaining English usage standards.  The most egregious example I ran into recently was a quotation by billionaire, Mayor Michael Bloomburg of NYC wherein he talked about young people "graduating college."

No comments:

Post a Comment