Monday, May 16, 2016

In which Primo finally says he wants to quit as trustee

Primo: I hate this. Ted and TedsWife want to talk to me. I had to deal with the insurance company - they sent me a letter saying I had to get flood insurance on the house - and it was sent two weeks after we closed! And now Maria has texted me about the car - I need to talk to [Stephanie's boyfriend of two years who has been in the auto sales industry his entire life] about the car.*

Me: That's a lot!

Primo: I don't want to do it any more! I misinterpreted TedsWife's email from before. I thought they just had $6,500 outstanding on their credit cards for TedsSon's school and had paid $19,000. But they paid $6,500 and owe $19,000 on the credit card.

Me: Holy smoke.

Primo: I already told them they need to send invoices! And credit card statements! But they won't.

Me: And?

Primo: They want to "talk."

Me: They don't get to set the terms. They just want to browbeat you.

Primo: I know. I want to quit. It's going to go on like this for years! I want to quit.

Me: Good. I think you should.

Primo: You didn't say that when I wanted to quit my job.

Me: If you were getting paid to be a trustee what you were making at your job, nope, I would tell you not to quit.

Primo: But if I quit, it means I don't love my nieces and nephews.

Me: Yes. That's exactly what it means.

Primo: My dad made me trustee as an honor.

Me: Yeah. Your dad. What a guy.




* Maria is joining AmeriCorps. Our conversation went like this:
Maria: I will need a car. Would the trust pay for it?
Primo: Of course.
Maria: I think Grandpop and Grandma would be proud of me and think this is a good way to use the money.
Primo: [pause]
Me [mouthing, "Are you KIDDING?" while shaking my head]: I'm sure they would, Maria! Your uncle Primo and I are super proud of you and know you will do a wonderful job.

4 comments:

  1. "As trustee, I cannot and will not pay for anything until I have the appropriate documentation. There is no point in us talking about anything until you have sent me the documentation."

    Hold firm. You can do it, Primo. I believe in you!

    - AC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine from CanadaTuesday, May 17, 2016

    Are you kidding? "If I quit it means I don't love my nieces and nephews."?!?!
    It has nothing to do with loving them! In fact, quitting shows that you do love them, you want the best for them, you want the best person running the trust for them and, - for a variety of very good reasons - you have decided that you are not the best person to run the trust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listen to that voice, Primo! Run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure your nieces and nephews wouldn't want you to be running yourself ragged over this when a perfectly good alternative exists. I suspect that the only one who might have a problem with it... is Ted. Which should prove what a good idea it is.

    ReplyDelete