Tuesday, September 28, 2010

In which Primo tries to keep the peace after the weekly mandatory phone call

Primo: My mom doesn't understand why you are friends with Stephanie yet won't have a relationship with her.

Me: I like Stephanie. She's the only person in your family who has been nice to me from the second I met her.

Primo: My parents say she's not your intellectual equal like my mom is.

Me: Oh good grief. I don't care. Stephanie is nice and we are friends.

Primo: They say she doesn't even have good grammer!

Me: So what? My grandmother said "ain't." Did that make her a bad person? I can look beyond these things, you know.

Primo: My mom wishes you would email her about gardening.

Me: Why can't she email me?

Primo: She says that you're the one who needs to initiate the relationship because you're the one who has rejected them.*

Me: But your mom is the one who wants the relationship.

Primo: I know.

Me: So if she wants it and I don't, isn't the burden on her to email first? You know I would answer her emails.

Primo: She thinks you should start.

Me: I don't want a relationship with your mother.

Primo: But she doesn't have any friends.

Me: That's not my fault and that's not my problem.




* If you do not know why I have rejected Sly and Doris, start reading the archives from the very beginning.

3 comments:

  1. What about trying this approach? The old 'kill em with kindness' strategy?

    1 Corinthians 13:4-8 (Amplified Bible)
    4Love endures long and is patient and kind; love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.

    5It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God's love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].

    6It does not rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail.

    7Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening].

    8Love never fails [never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end]. As for prophecy ([a]the gift of interpreting the divine will and purpose), it will be fulfilled and pass away; as for tongues, they will be destroyed and cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away [it will lose its value and be superseded by truth].

    ReplyDelete
  2. WC, I just don't have it in me. It's enough work to be cordial when I'm around them. When I'm not near them, I'd rather not think about them. (Except to get material for this blog and my future best selling memoir that will get us the condo on Key Biscayne, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, will this woman ever stop? How manipulative of his mother to put him in the middle of all this. She is trying to look like she's been victimized by you. If she REALLY wanted a relationship, she would email you and start one.

    ReplyDelete