Thursday, August 31, 2017

Ch 10 I write a thank you note to Doris and try to find common ground to inspire future conversation

I write her an email – an email! Not a letter![1] – telling her that I had read the novel for book club and had really liked it. I toss in the conversation-starting comment that the guy who always finds something not to like didn't like the book because he thought the writer was too hard on the Germans.

It is a World War II novel. About the occupied Channel Islands. Written from the English perspective.

The Germans are not the heroes here.

(Spoiler for those of you who were not paying attention in high school: The Germans, although the reasons were complicated, did start WWII.)

I mention a few other books we had read in book club. Tell her about the cranky guy's response to those books, one of which was a memoir by a man who escaped from China. (“We are being too harsh on Mao and the Cultural Revolution! Who are we to judge?” a comment that got Lynn, the second-most liberal person in the group, to snap that in this country, people are not shot or starved or tortured for their political beliefs.)

I am doing it right, right? Will Sly be able to criticize this letter? Will Doris find bitterness in it?



[1] Have I mentioned why I prefer to write actual letters to Doris? It’s because a letter takes longer to answer. An email can inspire an immediate response, which means I have to reply to her response and then the chain never ends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment