Friday, August 18, 2017

Ch 8 I thank Doris for her note about my grandmother even though as far as I am concerned – and I am a stickler for thank-you notes, as you have noticed, a thank-you note for a condolence note is not required

Dear Doris,

Thank you for your kind words about my grandmother. We were fortunate to have her as long as we did and for her to be independent and in good health almost her entire life.

Yes, I know what you mean about mothers and grandmothers not really getting a vacation. When we visited my grandmother, she spent her time cooking for everyone. She did not make blackberry pie, but we would pick raspberries (which ceases to be fun after about three minutes -- raspberry brambles are sticky and sharp) and she made raspberry jam or this fabulous raspberry dessert with merengue and whipped cream.
 
Even when she did not have company, my grandmother kept busy: church almost every morning, then to the PO to get the mail. She was part of the ladies' circle at church (they cooked for funerals and weddings) and helped care for my mom's schizophrenic cousin. She kept a huge garden, played cards at the senior center, made quilts for family and friends, and went to her painting classes. That woman had more energy! She put me to shame!
 
She was ready to go, though. She had friends at the nursing home but still missed her independence (who wouldn't?) and was still mad at my mom for taking her car keys. I am comforted by the fact that she is in heaven[1] with my grandfather and with other loved family and friends and I know I will see her again someday. (But not too soon, I hope.)
 
Goldie




[1] Yep. Mentioned heaven on purpose. I know. I am a bitch. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment